Learn Interface Management
What is Interface Management?
Learn what it is and why it’s critical to project management. Also, learn how to plan and implement an interface management program.
Interface Management is a ‘must-have’ discipline when managing major capital projects. Over the past decade, major capital projects have become substantially bigger and increasingly complicated, requiring numerous work packages distributed across multiple contractors. Excel spreadsheets and email have long been the ‘go-to’ tools, but are no longer adequate for managing these projects. Experienced project managers and interface managers are looking for better ways to identify, record, monitor, and track all project interfaces – everything from flange connections between pipelines to complex tie-ins to existing facilities.
The Construction Industry Institute reported the average cost growth for projects without formal interface management is 18%. As such, projects are being pushed to effectively manage interfaces from early planning and Front End Engineering and Design (FEED) through construction, commissioning, and handover to operations in order to mitigate risks and deliver business value.
The Basics – What It Is and Why It Is Critical to Project Management
- What it is and why it’s a necessity for major capital projects
- Which project characteristics drive the need for interface management
- How project interfaces can be managed from front end planning through to commissioning
- Critical success factors of interface management programs
Planning – Getting Everyone On Board
- What you will need for interface management implementation, compliance, and governance
- Creating the Master Interface Management Plan
- Identifying stakeholder ownership
- How to track the right interface-related information
- How to ensure information gets to the right people
- Alerts and escalation notifications
Implementation – Putting It into Practice
- Implementing an Interface Register to record, monitor, and track interfaces and status updates
- Early identification of Interface Points
- Ensuring ongoing success – importance of regular interface management meetings
- Importance of dashboards and reports
- How project schedule integration allows effective interface management
- Orderly closeout of interface agreements (including a complete history)
Webinar Presenter: Kelly Maloney
Kelly Maloney is a Senior Product Manager with Coreworx for Interface Management (IM). She brings over 15 years of experience with enterprise software applications for project management and information management. Kelly has worked with some of the largest EPs and owner/operators to implement interface management solutions that service multi-billion dollar projects with thousands of interfaces.
Most recently, Kelly assisted in the implementation of Interface Management for one of the world’s largest gas field projects. Working with the University of Waterloo, world-renowned for its engineering research, Kelly is helping to define best practices and tools to improve information and process management in capital project execution. With a focus on risk management, Kelly is helping to further define the Interface Management discipline, and its evolution. Kelly has led, mentored, and educated organizations in developing approaches and solutions in interface management through various webinars and published articles.